Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

WTF?!

Ok... so I just read an article about Bill O'Reilly and his "pleasant" lunch at Sylvia's, a black owned restaurant. Apparently he thought it amazing that blacks sat down, like whites and other races for that matter, with no drama. That amazed me because he also apparently stated that no one was screaming "Yo, MF get me some more tea" (I didn't quote that directly but anyway). And in the same breath stated that not all blacks acted like Twista, Ludacris, and some other rapper. What in the hell?! Please don't tell me that his perception of the majority of blacks in the US hinge upon the remarks, actions, and attitudes of people from the hip-hop community. If that were the case, then should I use Marilyn Manson, Ozzie Osbourne, or Britney Spears as a guide to my understanding and perception of white America? I mean, most of us do have sense, and we work hard to make a living, but to imply that we be held to the same standards as three rappers is ludicrous on his part. Yes, some are fueled by the lifestyles and mannerisms of those three people, as are members of white America fueled by Britney Spears and Marilyn Mason, but that doesn't mean that my next door neighbor, my colleague, or my classmate should be held to that standard. Why would he hold black America to the standard of three rappers?

He also stated that having dinner at this black owned restaurant was like eating at any other restaurant, like having a nice Italian dinner in NY. It was funny that he thinks that black people are so backwards that we do not have the sense or the ability to be successful. Being in such a highly publicized position, I thought he would be a little more open-minded... or intelligent for that matter. I guess ignorance and stupidity are bliss when you lack common sense. Then again, I am not surprised at all by his cultural ignorance. He probably thinks all Hispanics that come here are illegal and criminals. He seems to have a knack for latching on to one particular blight in a cultural community and panning it to somehow fit millions of people. I wonder what he thinks about white people. since he is one and is on the privileged side?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home