Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

No Title

Things have been a little weird in my world lately. I don't think that some people believe leaving the past in the past, others don't believe they are wrong... ever. I don't think I want to elaborate on either of those at the moment. I will say that it is funny when people think that you are wrong for believing in and reacting the way that you do. I am amazed at how small- minded people can be... especially people that I see everyday. I am learning to move through the world and not let things bother me so much. I figure when that person finally figures out that the world really does not revolve him and his views then may things may get a little better. But I decided that I am not going to die from any of my life experiences, and I am not holding my breath.

Other than trying to cope with the stupidity at home, things are going well. I have thrown myself into studying for the GRE and getting my applications ready. Its time to stop playing around and get on the career path. I have a few opportunities here, but I want to be the best in my field. So, I am trying to get into one of the few schools that actually offers a MA in translation and interpretation and not just a MA in a foreign language. I think it'll be a great help. I haven't thrown myself into the Spanish scene here like I should have. It's a little daunting for me for some reason. I know that I am really good at speaking Spanish and will make a damn good translator/interpreter but, for some reason, I have this weird hang up about speaking to native Spanish speakers. It makes my stomach hurt and I get really sweaty. I feel like I sound like the quintessential American but I have a fairly thick Southern drawl to add to my butchering of the Spanish language. Of course, all of this is in my mind. Most Spanish speakers end up asking me what Spanish-speaking country I am from. Last week a man in New Orleans asked if I was from Honduras. I am still trying to figure out whether that is good or bad as I have never met a person from Honduras. I may have sounded quite raggedy, as I like to call it. The problem is that I am not taking advantage of the offerings here to practice Spanish, which, as I mentioned before, is completely my own fault. So, I am trying to become more involved with the Hispanic community here. It can all go one of two ways, either I will reconnect with my inner Spanish diva, or I will completely bomb... Ok, well actually it can only go one way because failure is not an option. So, since I will not fail, that leaves me to reconnect with my inner Spanish diva... Now... if I only knew where to find her...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home