Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Just a little thought...

Life is funny sometimes. I am sitting here wondering why I keep running into the same person, but we never talk until he reads something that I write or he sees me in person. That is the only communication that we have. It's like neither of us exist in the other's world until we see one another. When I do see him it makes me think of the strange relationship that I had with him. It's kinda like reliving parts of it all over again (some good, some bad). Then I think about other idiotic things that he's said and done and I just shut down and cut off all contact, saying I don't need that in my life at the moment. And lo and behold the encounter happens all over again... I feel like it's becoming a bit of a cycle between us. We see one another, we exchange pleasantries, we talk a little bit, then I shut down. Repeat.

Of course, I am thinking of things that happened in the past, and am reacting under the assumption that he is still the same person, which may or may not be true. He may be one of the most wondeful people in the world, but I am not open to the notion of seeing and experiencing that "new" person... if he is that. In my experience people rarely change. I am sure is a great man to someone else. The thing I did learn from him is not to care what people think. They are not here living life with me on a day to day basis. They can judge me and whisper as often and as loud as the days are long, but in the end, my opinions and my decisions are the only ones that matter. It's funny because he is the exact opposite from me (at least that is my impression) because he relied heavily on outward appearances and the natterings of other people. And I must admit, I fell into that trap for a while. Law school does something to you. In the midst of striving to get to a certain level I began to lose part of who I was. I don't know if other people felt that way. I felt like I was in a cage with three hundred other people getting drilled everyday over material that did not interest me. I know I sould have quit before the second semester to keep what little sanity I had, but me being me, that was not an option. Maybe it should have been... and maybe not dwelling on the past should be an option at this point in time.

I think having gone through so much in the past year has made a lot of things more bearable. I can be cordial to people, I can tell people when they are getting on my nerves and speak my mind, I am more confident, and a little more outgoing, though I am still a bit of nerd who would rather sit at home and curl up with a good book than go out clubbing... of course if it has anything to do with jazz, then I am automatically there! Maybe I am limiting myself in many ways when dealing with the opposite sex, but I still think I have a lot to learn about myself. I don't really know what that has to do with anything, but that's my excuse for the moment...

4 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What did dude do back then that put him in the dog house?

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that doesn't deserve a comment... but telling someone that you're sleeping with that another woman is in love with you and you don't know how you feel about her is a start... maybe he should think back from that moment or maybe forward... i think he's a little slow when it comes to some women... hmmmm

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What did you want from the guy? Did you make that demand clear to him?

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    since when do relationships have demands? you make it sound is if it were part of a military strategy or a ransom for a kidnapping. and please tell him i didn't want anything from him... that may be a stretch because i don't have an answer for that. i don't really know what i wanted from anyone at that time... i do know that i don't want anything from him now, and as i recall he would have been unwilling to "give" me what, if anything, i would have wanted from that particular relationsip then (so he made his "demands" quite clear in the beginning), so what use would i have for anything that he has to offer now?. in any event, common sense would tell him there is a difference between confiding in a strictly platonic friend and one with benefits, at least from my perspective. and, if i recall correctly (which may be completely wrong on my part as i have chosen to selectively forget many of the details of that relationship... but will i ever really forget?), i believe he did the same thing to the other "friend" when he told her about his "study partner." her reaction was to move, which i don't blame her. she went after what she wanted. we are women, and we are emotional no matter what we may tell you initially. we are like men in that we know what to say to get what we want and, in all honesty, the relationship may start out on the page that there is nothing between the pair, but it will undoubtedly change due to our emotional characters, at some point. yes, there are those who can have those relationships with certain people, but there will always be that one person that it doesn't work with. for a man to be aloof to that is just plain ridiculous. there isn't a woman on earth who can be in an extended fwb relationship and not have some emotional attachment at some point in time, no matter how hard we portray ourselves to be. we are fragile... at least i was at that point in time. i guess i should thank him for that experience though. it has made me stronger and let me know that i am a me, no matter what i go through and no matter who i run into, i am a good person. whether or not i'll make a suitable significant other to someone remains to be seen, but hey, life is a waiting game at times, and if i have to wait then so be it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home