Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Alchemist (I read it in Spanish so it's "El Alquimista"

I recently read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I've been wanting to read it for some time, but I had never gotten around to it. So, while I was in the bookstore the other day I came across the novel and decided, on a whim, to buy it. The protagonist in the novel would call that a "sign." And I sincerely believe that it is the exact novel that I needed to read at this moment in my life. It deals with the humanness of dreams, the strength and will to begin the pursuit of those dreams, and the nerve to follow through once the dream is within your grasp. And you do all of this even if the world is against you, even if people cheat and steal, even if you are lost in the desert, even if you are leaving the love or your life, and no matter how long it takes you must push on! You must find your personal story, you must do so in your own time, and in the midst of all of this you must find your own path to God. That is the beauty of the novel. It is a novel of expectations, let downs, stength, growth, love and understanding. I think, having gone through all that I have gone through over the past five years, this novel serves as a reaffirmation of my own dreams, my own strength, and my own connction with God. If you have never read a book, if you hate to read, if you speak a language other than English (or Portuguese since the author's native language is Portuguese), if you have done nothing in your life, if you never do anything in your life, READ THIS NOVEL!!! It is well worth it! I hope that it enlightens you as much as it has me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home