Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Monday, May 21, 2007

a little chunky!

oh my goodness... I have gained twelve pounds over the past two months. and lets just say that i am not a zero anymore. i can't fit any of my clothes! my mom laughs at me because she thinks its funny and she's a little relived that I have picked up a little weight and kept it on. with dialysis it was hard to put on weight in any for (whether muscle weight or just plain fat) because the dialysis machine literally strips the body of any and all nutrients and minerals at the same time it cleanses the toxins from the bloodstream. and i could never tell if it was water weight gain (because the machine was not pulling all of the fluid that I had gained between treatments or whether it was actual weight gain). when i began dialysis i only weighed about 90 lbs. when i got my transplant i weighed 98 lbs. it literally took me two years to gain a total of nine lbs. (yes it took that long because my doctor always fussed at me about my weight but refused to put me on steroids, to which i say thank you!) the doctors and nurses told me that i would gain weight as a result of the steroids that i am taking as part of my daily regimen, but damn! if this keeps up, i'll gain another 24 pounds (an average of 6 lbs a month). i am scared to go shopping because I don't want to have to keep going every few months. I can't afford that at the moment. it's funny because I haven't been this weight since my first year of college. it feels good that I have put on a little weight, but I have never been more than 115 lbs., and right now I am seriously pushing it... maybe I should stop eating at two and three in the morning... of course i am a bit of a night owl and normally go to sleep at four in the morning. I have been trying to eat really healthy, but its a little difficult cause my parents eat a lot of processed foods and I must admit that I went crazy in the first couple of weeks after the transplant. So, now I have to start eating a little healthier. But every time i bring healthy food into the house my dad and my sister eat it! maybe i should get things that i nkow they won't eat... lol no, i'm glad that they are eating healthier and being open to new foods (cause they are some hard sells)! I guess I should buy in bulk when i get foods. anyway... i have to go drink some water cause my stomach is telling me to go to the kitchen and get a bowl of cereal or something. water... water...water... i can do it ... i hate water when i am sick!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home