Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Monday, May 21, 2007

In trouble?!

I've had my first cold as a transplant patient and let me tell you it has not been fun. It has been kicking my butt. I've had it a little over a week and me and my mom got sick about the same time (thanks to my brother, his friend, and girlfriend) but she seems to be pretty much over it. I have to constantly check my temperature to ensure that I am not showing signs of a fever. My doctor told me to that if I get a fever to call him immediateky, which scared me because we all know that I am nothing more than a big chicken!! So I have been lying in bed for the past few days which hasn't been bad because it gave me time to think of another short story... which God knows I didn't need another short story idea cause I am already working on two of them. Anyway, I believe this is will be much better than the two I had alreadt begun.

In other news I got to see a really nice jazz trio on Saturday, in the midst of my illness. I probably shouldn't have gone anywhere cause I was hurt when I got home. My best friend got mad at me cause she said I took a guy that she had been eyeing all night. Of course I'd been telling her to talk to him all night but would she listen? No! Anyway, as the evening was winding down he said hi and I greeted him back. Then he asked if she and I were in high school and I gave him a crazy look. Then he rephrased it and said well, I know you're not in high school cause you're at a jazz concert, then he said college. I laughed and told him I was 27. It was all downhill from there. My girl had been off taking a photo with one of the members of the jazz trio, so I thought it was ok to talk to him (well cordially at least seeing that I am not in the market and a fifty something saxophonist had already made my flesh crawl that night) until she came over. I just stood there and spoke to him for a few moments until she came over. I introduced the two of them and then he asked my name and I told him. All of us started talking (the guy my friend wanted to talk to, the bass player, and the two of us) about Memphis and some other small talk. She mentioned her birthday and I asked her what we were doing for her birthday. She said that I knew what she wanted and I asked her how I was supposed to get her a man and i couldn't get one for myself. Why did I say that? The guy in the suit (the guy she wanted to talk to) asked me whether or not I was mean and I told him yes. And commenced to tell him what I wouldn't tolerate from men, and she did the same. So we talked a little longer and I am goofy anyway, she said I was flirting but I don't think I was. I was just talking. But at the end, we ended up exchanging numbers (all of us) and as soon as we left she told me I took her man. It was funny. Before we even made it home she had come up with this florid tale about what "really" happened and she had me in stitches. I told her I didn't care what she told people as long as it was truly embellished it. That was funny. But I think she was a little upset because she called me later and told me that she wasn't mad just a little surprised because our tastes don't usually overlap. Which they don't. But I didn't really see what the deal was, I have no plans of talking to him and told her that numerous times. In any event, lesson learned... maybe I'll date a white guy, I know she's not going for that!

Speaking of suit guy... he called and invited us to lunch and then commenced to tell me he'd show me what it was like to be with a "real man." That was funny... if you're a real man then you shouldn't have to tell me that. You'd just show and I pick up on it... makes me wonder...

1 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger lysurgis23 said…

    G'day E

    yeah, catchable illnesses are a big pain but you get used to them. I find colds hang a round a bit longer than before - but on the other hand, since your general health is much better with a transplant, you actually will be a little bit more resilient to these things! (And not in a way that jeopardises your immune-suppressant medications.)

    And yes, any bloke who advertises himself as a "real man" should set off alarm bells loud & clear. He's really a fake man.

    Cheers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home