Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Something soft and gentle

I woke up the other morning, expecting the gray, dreary sharpness that had become my life. Instead of waking up to bleak and dreary grayness and sharp edges, I woke up to soft, light colors, softness and gentleness. I felt at peace with everything around me, as if all things had a purpose at this exact point in my life. I wanted to caress everything that was soft and gentle about this new life, to kiss it, sing to it, smell it, love it, savor it with every sense that I have. It is warm and creamy, and slightly sweet, this gentleness. I feel like I can taste it each morning I wake up, with each thing that I do, every step that I take. It is wonderful. It wraps me in a warmth that I have not felt for a long time. It makes me feel safe, and alive, and wanted. I want to go out and play each morning I wake up, to pick up the soft colors, revel in the sweet smell, to frolick among the vivid brightness, the creaminess; breathing in the aroma of the newness. This new life is gorgeous, beautiful and enchanting. I can't wait to continue exploring the softness and gentleness of this new life.

I have an inherent belief that people come into our lives for a reason, whether they are just passing through or whether they will have a greater impact. I am about to seriously jinx myself here, but here goes! I met a really wonderful person. I believe that he is in my life to let me know that, even though I am on dialysis and am going through many things associated with the process of getting a transplant, I am normal. I am human. He lets me know that I need love and affection just as the next person. He makes me feel normal, which I have not felt in a while. He lets me know that it is ok to shelter myself at times, but that I must, ultimately, unlock the door and let someone in. He lets me know that things will, somehow, work out, no matter what. Even though I have not known him long and do not know how long I will have the pleasure of having him in my life, he brings something to my life that is refreshing. Maybe that's all I needed, was something fresh, something that does not revolve around dialysis and kidney failure. And he is part of the reason that I woke up to that bright, fresh, softness. I must admit that I love it! Even if nothing comes of the relationship/friendship with him, I know that I will always wake up to brilliant softness and vibrant color from now on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home