Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Monday, October 09, 2006

No match yet!

Well, my cousin wasn't a match. The transplant team works at warp speed! My coordinator called me on Friday morning before I completed my dialysis treatment and gave me the news. It was a little disheartening because you hear about people find matches with the first person to get tested. But I've never had such luck! The good thing is that I have stopped moping around and using kidney failure as an excuse to hate the things that I am allowing to go on in my life. I am finally doing something about it! It took more than a yeat and a half, but hey, it's better late than never. I have my top list of schools that I will be applying to and two alternatives, I know the GRE range that I need to fall into, now all I have to do is track down my professors for recommendations. That may be the hardest thing to do because they are no longer at the institution I graduated from. They have, essentially, scattered, they are in the wind. I'm sure at least one of my former professors still at the college know how to reach a few of them.

Well, I am off to finish reviewing for the day! I feel like I'm in remedial math because I got a book that takes you through the major areas of high school math. But I want my score to be as competitive as possible because I have been out of school for a little while, and I did fail my first year of law school... I have to make myself look pretty damn appealing under those circumstances!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger lysurgis23 said…

    Sorry about this, E - its very frustrating, I know ...

    I was especially frustrated when awaiting the Big Donation because a "live" donation was not an option for me. Sometimes it would all get too much - then I'd just have to think along the lines of - "look, everyone has to clean their teeth or go to the loo [toilet] etc - this is just an [very!] extended version of a routine body maintenance task." Not much consolation I know, but it sometimes worked!

    And then the call finally came out of the blue after 5 years (and 4 years + since then, still going strong).

    So chin up E - I don't mean to mouth platitutes, but you *can* and will get past this - as you say in your post. In relation to the GRE, as Oprah might say, "You go, girl!!" (or in Australia we would say "Go, you good thing!!!")

    Cheers, mate!

    PS: -
    [I'm actually lysurgis23 - don't be fooled by the name here - but I can't get in to the system to change it!]

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger E. Brown said…

    Hi John! Yes, I admit that it is becoming a little frustrating, but I am understanding now that all of it is a process. I have learned that I must keep myself busy and that all things will happen in due time. It may not be as soon as I would like, but I know that it will come at exactly the right moment. In the meantime, I am focusing on me and trying to get back on the path to achieving my goals. I figure something good may as well come out of all of this!

    Thanks for the support! It's one thing for people to tell me that things are going to be fine when they are not going or have not been through this. But the advice and support from those who have actually gone through dialysis and the transplantation process makes more than a world of difference!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home