Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ya empezo...

Ok... I am not a soap opera watcher, but I must admit that I have been all into the Mexican telenovela "La Fea Mas Bella." Five days a week, every week, I am all about Jaime Camil and Angelica Vale (the two main protagonists), waiting on pins and needles to find out what strange twist will be thrown into their relationship. I love the fact that the telenovela deals, to a certain extent, with class, beauty and what it means to be truly beautiful. One of the most wonderful things, I believe, is that it deals with highly educated women. Now... I wonder if they'll create one with a terminally ill woman who doesn't die half way through the telenovela. I'd definitely watch that one. This is what my life has become... watching telenovelas and comparing and contrasting the probability and validity of them... damn! Well, at least in telenovelas there is an end and people can't come back from the dead after three years!

I've also realized that I am a bit of a hopeless romantic, that I would love to be swept off of my feet by some man, get married and have kids... though I will deny that if it is ever repeated!

Yeah... it's about time to take the GRE. My life is becoming a joke... more like a telenovela. Maybe I am afraid to go to the next step because I am afraid of failure. With telenovelas, everything always ends on a positive note, and we all hope that our lives end up the way we want, that we have fulfilled our dreams and met whatever goals we have set for ourselves. I guess maybe I should focus on one thing at a time, but I feel like I am limbo. The good thing is that people in my family are beginning to get tested, which I am thankful for. When my cousin called and said she would be first, I was ecstatic, and scared all at the same time. It just let me know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. My doctor told me about a young man who went to medical school and was on dialysis, and that gave me some inspiration. It let me know that where there's a will there's a way. So, I am going to get my tests out of the way, and start applying to schools. I have an idea on where I want to go to school. I think I am going to work on my MA. I know I can handle that better than I would be able to handle law school or a PhD program, so that is my baby step.

LOL... who would have thought I would get all of that out a watching a telenovela... Como dicen... Ya empezo...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger lysurgis23 said…

    G'day E! Running late again with my comments, sorry.

    Yeah, sometimes you just have to blast yourself into a new trajectory or you'll end up failing with what you're doing (the opposite of being scared of failure in a new venture).

    I was dialysing for almost 5 years whilst running a work unit within a local government authority. But I was tired all the time from the rigours of overnight dialysis as well as the effects of my illness. I was frightened of leaving a career of 22 years, but realsied that if I did nothing, events would overtake me.

    Well, I did do nothing - and new management took a dislike to me and tried blasting me out. I eventually quit after lawyers all round at 6 paces - very messy, and with no one else wanting to employ me in my old field.

    But I had decided to retrain in another field anyway. However, in retrospect, I should have made that decision indepentently and before the tsunami engulfed me.

    And now! I went back to university (interrupted by the transplant), graduated in my new field, and am now happily working away in this field. Non-tenured work, and less money, but I am taking the view that I am on a learning curve - much as when I first graduated back at age 22.

    I'm not a paragon of virtue by any means, but for what its worth that's my experience. Sometimes you can be doing more risk by staying put than by taking a (calculated) risk in a new venture.

    Cheers, mate!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home