Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Still here...

I'm still here! Things have been hectic this past month! I thought pre-transplant list testing was rough, man this is utterly ridiculous! I feel like I have to get every inch of me tested (inside AND out) from top to bottom! I know it's only to make sure that I am healthy enough to a) go through with the operation itself, b) that I am mentally ready for such an operation and the consequences and implications that come with it, and c) to make sure that once I get the transplant that I won't go do something stupid that will essentially destroy the organ (like drugs, drinking, not taking medications, etc). But I feel that my doctors know a little too much about me, my lifestyle, and my bodily functions (and yes, I do mean all of my bodily functions!) When I decided that I would get the transplant (yes, I'm finally ok with it), I knew that I would have to undergo a lot of tests, bloodwork each week and things like that. But I have been to about ten appointments over the past few weeks, and these do not include dialysis. And I haven't even gotten through half of the tests that I am to undergo. I am a little overwhelmed by all of it, but I also know that there is no way that I can continue going to dialysis three days a week for the rest of my life. I have too many expectations of myself, and the longer I stay on dialysis, the more I feel I have let myself down. So, I think I have to do this to make my life as normal as it can be (well... as normal as it can be for a transplant patient. I have learned that normal no longer exists in my world). Anyway, I have just finished dialysis, and I feel like I have run two miles and I merely walked up the stairs! I know that's sad, but its getting better. I have started exercising on the days that I do not have dialysis. But I am so out of shape it is ridiculous. I have a long way to go!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger apprentice said…

    Hey just take it a bit at a time, I know from my illness. When i thought too far ahead I just felt swamped by it all.

    I think you're right to exercise though, even the distraction is welcome, and often you sleep better.

    BW

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger E. Brown said…

    it has become a bit daunting! but i am trying to take it one day at a time! exercising really does help a lot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home