Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The transplant list...

Well, I am unoficially on the list. I have one more test to take before they can make it official, so I guess it will become official next Tuesday. I got the call from the transplant clinic and my stomach dropped. It is one of the calls that I had been dreading. It's one thing to go through the testing, but its another to tell the world that you are ready to have someone else's organ transplanted into an already ailing body. After having the testing put on hold for approximately nine months, I have become almost complacent about this entire situation. But this event has made the process that much more real. I will, essentially, be walking around with a part of another human being in my body. It is awe inspiring on one hand, on the other its scary as hell because that person either had to die before I can receive the organ, or it will be from someone close to me. I can't imagine looking at the person for the remainder (however long or short) of our lives and feeling guilty because I am basically taking the "gift" from him/her. And what if that person needs a kidney later in life, what if the kidney that person gave me fails? Will he/she blame me? Will I blame myself? What if I have to go through all of this and the kidney doesn't work? That would break me and I know it! That is the one thing I cannot deal with, going through all of this and the kidney doesn't function properly. Dialysis is hell, but I know what to expect and I know how to manage it... at least to a certain extent. But my life is stagnate and that is the one thing that I cannot stand! I am a fairly well educated young woman, but dialysis makes having a full time job hard because many employers won't work with the schedule that I have. The transplant offers me the freedom that I once had, and Lord knows how much I long for that! And it will also extend my life... (still debating on whether or not that's a pro or con) and give me the opportunity to go chasing after my dreams again. But it's a risk... Now I have to figure out whether or not I am that much of a risk taker to go through with it....

4 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger lysurgis23 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger lysurgis23 said…

    G'day E! ....

    In this post, you said _inter alia_

    > And it will also extend my life... (still debating on whether or not that's a pro or con) ...

    I hope this is a joke! Of course its worth it! Make no mistake - the transplant is hard work, but all along you will feel buoyed by the great good that is happening to you. Its unbelievable, but it makes it all worthwhile.

    You are right about feelings about the donor. I was surprised just how grief-stricken I felt about my donor (cadaveric) - wept for about 2 days (although I was partly unbalanced by the medicines I think!!!). But I now feel mightily grateful to him/her, and think of him/her and the family each day. My thank-you letter to the family went for 6 pages (and the people at the Australian Red Cross said it was quite OK - they vet the letters for ramblings, identity disclosure, &c)

    So chin up, E! No more of this glum talk!!!!

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger E. Brown said…

    lysurgis, I got over it very quickly! i am feeling better about the whole process and eventually not having to wake up at three in the morning to get ready for dialysis three days a week! thank you for the support!

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi - Just came across your blog - I hope you get a transplant - you will feel a lot better! my daughter is 20 and on dialysis almost 3 years now. Here's her story www.xanga.com/i_korn.
    Best of luck to you!
    Karol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home