Day to Day Life and Dialysis

The blog of a 26 year-old dialysis and liver patient in Memphis, Tennessee giving a day to day (or week to week... or whenever she feels like telling you) recount of the ups and downs of life at the moment.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Cool therapy session

So... I went to see my therapist today and I must say, I should have been going to see her all along! She makes me feel great about myself and every damn thing that is going on in my life, the good and the bad, the ups and the downs. She lets me know that no matter what, I am more than strong enough to do any and every thing that I have or will set my mind to. She adds to the encouragement that my my family gives me and she lets me know that it is more than ok to have bad days, to get upset with people or things that are going on in my life. She also lets me know that it is my duty to stand up for myself and make decisions (regarding relationships) that will benefit me. Overall, she lets me know that I should be happy no matter what, and that I deserve that happiness.

I can honestly say that I am doing things that I probably would have never done in the past. Like telling my sister off when she gets on my nerves, or having the backbone to get out of unhealthy relationships. She has helped me find a strength that I desperately needed.

But today's session was interesting though. After telling her that I have come into contact with other minority women who are battling chronic illnesses/diseases of some sort, she suggested that I should contact both the Tyra Banks Show and the Oprah Show. She suggested that I should attempt to get the message out about both dialysis and how young women are coping with such diseases and the transplant process. And after thinking about it for a little, I did it! I actually sent in e-mails to both shows. It was a little weird, but I know that, even though I am basically wishing on a star and silently praying to God that someone thinks it's a worthwhile topic, I am taking one of the first steps to getting the word out about dialysis, the transplant process, and day to day coping with renal disease, or any other terminal illness for that matter.

So, to anyone reading this, please pray that someone responds to those e-mails and that we can spread the word about renal failure, dialysis, and transplantation... maybe it'll even help me in actually getting a transplant!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said…

    Your therapist sounds like a wonderful person.

    I pray and hope someone does respond to your emails.

    Keep trying. As Paulo Coelho [writer, The Alchemist] said, keep knocking on doors, don't stop.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home